ONE YEAR OF TRAVEL: WHAT I’M BRINGING WITH ME
The big departure date is arriving soon! On January 1st, I will officially begin my year of travel. I’ll board a plane bound for New Orleans and spent the month volunteering with a local community organization (of which I’ll be telling you lots about soon).
As I’ve chatted with friends and family about my project, a common question is posed – What does one pack for a year of travel?
Last week I chatted with enRoute Magazine about what would be in my carry-on. But what about the other things that one needs to bring? Underwear? A sleeping bag? A curling iron?
To be honest, I have no idea how one should pack for a year of travel. My needs will vary throughout the year, and my general theory is that I’ll be able to pick things up as I move along. But this is what I’ve boiled it down to for my departure.
- 7 pairs of underwear (mix of briefs and boxers)
- 7 pairs of socks (mix of low ankle sport socks, and wooly socks)
- a pair of jeans, a pair of canvas hiking pants
- 3 pairs of shorts (including one that functions as swim trunks)
- 5 t-shirts
- a leather belt
- 3 button-up, long-sleeve shirts
- a fleecy, zip-up sweater
- a Goretex™ jacket
- 3 paris of footwear: hiking shoes, converse sneakers, flip-flops
- a toque, a pair of fingerless gloves
Added: A hat (thanks Lisa!)
- iPod Touch
- quick-dry towel
- universal adaptor
- small bag for toiletries (bar of soap, shampoo, tooth brush, tooth paste, razor, deodorant, sunscreen, nail clippers, Advil, bandaids, earplugs)
- cheap, replaceable sleeping bag
- extra ziplock bags
What am I missing? Any tips?
Photo Credit: Richmond Lam